Thursday, October 29, 2009

Hands On with Ubuntu 9.10 (Karmic Koala)

Ubuntu Linux is one of the most popular Linux distros around and this week we're blessed with another release of it. The last version of Ubuntu I looked at for ExtremeTech was version 9.04 (Jaunty Jackelope). There have been some significant changes since that release in April, so read on to find out what they are and why you might want to consider upgrading to Ubuntu Linux 9.10.

What's new in this Release
There's some juicy stuff in this upgrade and here's some of what you'll find:

Gnome 2.28
Upstart (faster booting)
Empathy IM (replaces Pidgin)
New login manager
Quickly (easier application development)
Ubuntu One (cloud-based sharing and storage)
Linux Kernel 2.6.31
Changes to power management
New Intel video driver architecture
Ext4 file system default
Grub 2 default

General Impressions
The new Ubuntu Software Center has an excellent selection of software. Even if you feel that your computing needs are fine with the default software included with Ubuntu 9.10, it's still worth browsing around the Software Center to check out some additional stuff.

When I booted into my Ubuntu Linux 9.10 desktop, I heard the Ubuntu theme play. So sound worked fine right from the start. No need to fiddle with any settings to get it working. Ditto with networking.

When I went to play a YouTube video, however, I found that Flash wasn't installed. I pulled up the Ubuntu Software Center, typed the word "flash" into the search box, and up came a list of goodies to install on my system. The first thing on the list was Ubuntu Restricted Extras. Wow, with a name like that I just HAD to install it!

No comments:

Post a Comment